Friday, October 11, 2013

Ded the shep

    

That means Happy Eid-I think.  Eid al Adha is a big deal here, and we get an entire week off of school. I don't know what it is, but it has something to do with the Hajj to Mecca and sheep. My students told me that they get money and presents and sweets and go to family gatherings. I had them write sentences and draw pictures about their favorite thing to do for Eid. I had many pictures of children killing animals, and a sentence that said "I ded the shep"- which I finally figured out meant that the girl's favorite thing to do for Eid was to "dead the sheep" or kill it.  I'm glad a colleague told me that killing a sheep is part of the festivities, or I would have been calling several parent-teacher conferences.


Kandora and Abaya
We had an Eid celebration at school that consisted of kids dressing in Abayas and Kandoras and walking around a reproduction of Mecca.  They also re-enacted something with a sheep, but everything was in Arabic, so I don't know what was going on.  Not knowing what was being said, it was still neat to watch.  I had my personal kids stay and watch and experience it, too.  Most of the other expat kids were sent to the library, but I wanted mine to see it and ask questions.  We have interesting discussions in the car- the most recent being "Why don't they have 'Mohammedmas' if we have Christmas" (well, they do celebrate Prophet's birthday, but Eid is more like Christmas, plus, Mohammed was a prophet, not God's son).

I joined several Facebook groups for ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) and EMT (English Medium Teachers) 2013.  They are very enlightening.  Enlightening in that I appreciate where I work every day when people post the things they are dealing with and going through. Are there things I would change about my school?  Of course- everything can be improved. But, I like it and I am happy both personally and professionally. My students and I are getting more and more used to each other- they know what to expect of me and know what my expectations are, too.
Road up Jebel Hafeet at night
Al Ain with Jabel Hafeet in the distance 
We spent the evening tonight driving up Jebel Hafeet and hanging out at the top of the mountain.  The weather was beautiful and windy- in the low 70s. The girls played, we chilled out, and then had ice cream and people watched. Jason loves driving the winding road up and down the mountain, and drives much slower for me than he would if he were by himself. I spent half the drive down with my eyes closed saying "I don't like it. I don't like it. I don't like it" while Jason laughed maniacally.  In his mind, he was picturing himself in a Porsche, drifting on the tight corkscrew turns at 100 km an hour, while in fact, he was actually in a rented Hyndai Accent with no power going about 60 km down the mountain.

This week, we plan on visiting Dubai's Global Village, and many free Eid celebrations throughout the UAE. Circus shows, fireworks, and whatever else we find out about.

Ma:a Sala:amah!


No comments:

Post a Comment